Quick and Easy Banana Bread

I love bananas. They are just so versatile. Not to mention its a great source of energy. I made this banana bread from a recipe that I found in the Woman's Day Valentines issue. It's moist and delicious. Its also a lot cheaper than buying a slice of banana bread at the local cafe for $4.00 or more.



The recipe has sour cream, which I think brings out the flavour of the bananas even more. I also added some crushed walnuts to add a bit of crunch.


Recipe from the Woman's Day

Banana Bread
Ingredients

125 grams butter
3/4 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup very ripe mashed bananas (approximately 2 large bananas)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup crushed walnuts (this is optional)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180c. Lightly grease a 10x20cm loaf pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper.

2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

3. Sift flour and bicarb together. Fold the mashed banana, sour cream and 3/4 cup of the flour into the creamed mixture. Lightly fold in remaining flour and milk until it is well combined. (if you are using walnuts, it is best to mix the nuts in at this point. Leave some aside to sprinkle on top of the banana bread)

4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.



The banana bread is great sliced thick and toasted with some butter. This was a hit at work so I will be making this again soon.

Mark @ Cafe Campana (April 05, 2010)  

Banana bread is great. I have seen many different recipes but this one looks great. I like the addition of nuts. The bit of crunch is essential.

Stephcookie (April 05, 2010)  

Yum banana bread is my favourite! Love any recipe with sour cream, it makes cakes so moist, this sounds great

Anonymous –  (April 05, 2010)  

OOhh that banana bread looks much better than ones I have paid that 4 dora or so for! I like the extra walnuts for texture *crunch*

pierre (April 05, 2010)  

there are so many bananas cakes at the moment on blogs : is there a season for that? Tant mieux as they all seem delicious!! Cheers
Pierre de Paris

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (April 05, 2010)  

So true, baking banana bread yourself is so much better than buying it! I thought that the topping was streusel at first! :P

Trissa (April 05, 2010)  

4.00 bucks a slice? You can probably make a whole loaf for that much and from the looks of it, homemade does taste much better! Loving the topping Kath!

Caroline (April 06, 2010)  

bananas breads are always a hit at my house & I agree it's more economcal than buying it.

Hayles –  (April 06, 2010)  

Oh kath this looks lovely. If I swap the bananas for tinned apples and cinnamon do you think I'll need to make any other amends to your recipe?

PS - I made a fish pie on Good Friday. You'd have been proud. It was AMAZING!

Unknown (April 06, 2010)  

That looks great! I love the topping.

Emma @cakeMistress (April 06, 2010)  

This banana bread recipe looks excellent. I like the addition of sour cream

Anonymous –  (April 06, 2010)  

Love the touch of crushed walnuts on top of your bread bread! Yummo!

Blue Penguin (April 06, 2010)  

Looks delicious - love the crunchy topping! I tried out this one the other day, and it was very tasty (more of a dense texture than yours, but has the benefit - potentially dubious, depending on your views of healthy baking! - of not having any butter or oil)... http://penguinsandparentheses.blogspot.com/2010/03/never-mind-hyperbole-eat-banana-bread.html
Think it was the easiest thing I've ever made! Will have to try yours out though, too!

Liss (April 06, 2010)  

Oh that looks mouthwatering. Yummo!

Two fit and fun gals (April 06, 2010)  

your version looks so much better then mine and with the addition of sourcream i can just imagine how much more moist yours would be :O)

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (April 06, 2010)  

Bananas share a lot with this banana bread of yours - there is nothing not to like about them :D

chocolatesuze (April 06, 2010)  

ooh ive never thought of putting walnuts on the outside! nice!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ (April 07, 2010)  

Super delicious banana bread u have here and yeah i sure love Bananas too...
love those crushed walnuts too and would love to try this with hazlenuts too :-))
U have a lovely blog with loads of delicious recipes:-)))

Chef Aimee (April 07, 2010)  

I love your addition of the walnuts - I cant pass up banana bread ever!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (April 07, 2010)  

Woah, seriously nutty bread! Looks like it could almost be a crumble topping...mmmm.

Trisha (April 07, 2010)  

I just made banana cake the other day!!! i love it with some sinful cream cheese frosting... mmm...

Juliana (April 09, 2010)  

Oh! Your banana bread sure looks yummie and love the sour cream in it...by the way, thank you for visiting my site :-)

MaryMoh (April 09, 2010)  

I love anything with bananas. Your banana bread looks very delicious. Would be so good with a cup of tea....mmmm. Love the walnut topping. Thanks for sharing, Katherine.

MaryMoh (April 09, 2010)  

Ooops....that was me above....forgot to enter my blog URL....so sorry.

Amy (April 09, 2010)  

The walnuts was a really nice touch. I must keep that in mind the next time I make banana bread. It looks perfectly moist and very tasty. mmmmmm.

Olive (April 10, 2010)  

I agree it's cheaper to make it yourself, I love banana bread, so good with coffee :)

Kitchen Butterfly (April 11, 2010)  

I'm a banana bread fan...big time. Love the nutty outer of yours!

Barbara Bakes (April 11, 2010)  

The nutty topping really makes this bread look special!

linda (April 14, 2010)  

I love banana cakes, but ventured in to baking banana bread. I'll try it this sunday, thanks for the recipe.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails