Food For The Gods

My cousin Rachel made a suggestion for me to make Food For The Gods. Food for the Gods is basically a Date and Walnut slice. It's rich like fruit cake and incredibly sweet. From what I have heard, they call it Food For The Gods because of the ingredients used. Dates and Walnuts can be very expensive in the Philippines.


The recipe below is adapted from http://pinoyfoodblog.com/

Food For The Gods
Ingredients

1 cup dates, sliced into small pieces
1/3 cup sultanas
1 cup walnuts (chopped)
1/2 cup of Brazil nuts (chopped)
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons honey
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder



Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Put some parchment paper down on a lamington tray. Making sure that the bottom and the sides are lined.
3. Combine chopped dates and the nuts and set aside
4. Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
5. Add molasses and honey until it is well combined.
6. Add the eggs one at a time and continue beating.
7. Sift together flour, cinnamon and baking powder and add it to the creamed mixture.
8. Fold in dates and nuts and mix with a spatula. Try and knock as much air as possible from the mixture as this slice is suppose to be dense.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. (Bake only until a skewer inserted comes out with a moist crumb)


This is normally cut into squares and wrapped in pretty paper. I didn't have the time to do this so I just cut them into squares. They were delicious and best served with a hot cup of tea.

Tangled Noodle (April 11, 2010)  

I used to think this was such a sweet dessert but I had some from Mary Grace bakery in the Philippines and it was better than I remembered! I love the two kinds each of dried fruit and nuts in these - these squares look so delicious.

Mark @ Cafe Campana (April 11, 2010)  

These look really good. I can imagine workmates envy as I eat them all selfishly at my desk during the day.

Chef Aimee (April 11, 2010)  

Oh this looks delicious and the suggestion with tea seems perfect!

Olive (April 11, 2010)  

these are addictive bars,I always find it hard to stop once I bite into one of these ...hope I can find brazil nuts so I can try your recipe too :)

Unknown (April 11, 2010)  

My mom used to make this for Christmas all the time. She used dates and walnuts. I can't wait to try your version.

Trissa (April 11, 2010)  

These are definitely fit for the gods! They looks so rich and moist. My type of slice!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (April 11, 2010)  

With a name like that, it's got to be good. The crust and centre remind me of a brownie. When I saw the pics I thought it was a blondie!

Anonymous –  (April 11, 2010)  

Oohh they sure look yummy but I think I would take a hot chocolate with mine instead of tea thx :P

Confession Nook (April 11, 2010)  

i needed to re read it again as my first reaction after reading the title was " hmm durian! " fruit for the God that is!

looked really yummy fudgy and chewy! =)

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (April 11, 2010)  

I already thought these looked good, but imagining eating one (or five) with a hot cup of tea sounds perfect.

chocolatesuze (April 12, 2010)  

oh yum i love anything with dates! these look fantastic dude!

Helen (grabyourfork) (April 12, 2010)  

These sound like they'd be perfect with a cup of tea. I think these recipe names are a great reminder of how precious many ingredients used to be and how much we do take price and variety of foods for granted.

Juliana (April 13, 2010)  

Wow, these dates and walnut bars sure look yummie...great at anytime!

Manggy (April 14, 2010)  

I love FfTG! Dates aren't as hard to get nor are they very expensive here any longer - one just has to know where to look :) I made these (diff recipe) when I was in North Carolina - very moreish!

Anonymous –  (April 14, 2010)  

ah, FFTG! must be good.. if not it wouldnt be worthy of that name!
love the different shots of em put tgt.
heh love anything with fruits and nuts! yum.
id like to go to the Philippines one day!
my tagalog is not bad after years of listening to my helpers :P

Anonymous –  (April 14, 2010)  

I have never heard of FFTG!! Oh my........ they look too good and have to be GOOD to deserve the name :)

Joanie (April 15, 2010)  

Reminds me of HOME. I wish to have some of these in Saigon :)

Jen (April 15, 2010)  

Dates and walnuts aren't cheap here, either. Those look yummy.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (April 16, 2010)  

Not a big fan of dates but love your photo collage of the slices!

MaryMoh (April 17, 2010)  

Looks very delicious. I love the nuts and fruits added. I would love to try this.

Amy @ cookbookmaniac (April 18, 2010)  

Oh my butterflies. This looks so sweet and perfect. It would go beautifully with the cup of tea I am having right now.

Cherine (April 18, 2010)  

Those look sooo good!

Ninette (April 19, 2010)  

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I cried when I wrote the polvoron post, because I wrote it on the anniversary of my grandmother's death on April 9. For some reason, clicking on your email on your profile didn't work out for me regarding the polvoron mold. If you can email me at ninetteenrique@gmail.com, that would be great. But honestly, I don't want to cause you any trouble with mailing anything. It's the thought that counts!

Anonymous –  (January 12, 2012)  

looks yummy! What if i add butter?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails