Takoyaki Balls

When my parents asked me what I wanted from Japan, I told them that I wanted a Takoyaki Pan. My dad rang me a few times and told me that it wasn’t looking good. They went to every kitchen shop they could and it was either sold out or they didn’t sell it at all.



A few days before they left Japan he found the takoyaki pan around the corner from where they were staying. When I got the pan, I was so excited. I went online and found a few recipes and tips about making the takoyaki balls.

I went to Miracle Asian Supermarket in the city at lunch one day and bought everything that I needed to make the takoyaki balls. I’m the queen of shortcuts, so I was thrilled to find a packet of takoyaki mix. All I needed to do was add water and an egg.
I decided to make the takoyaki balls with prawns instead of octopus. So below is a super simple takoyaki recipe.


You will need a takoyaki pan. My parents bought mine from Japan but I am pretty sure it is available in some Asian supermarkets.

Takoyaki Balls

Ingredients
250 grams takoyaki mix
6 large king prawns peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 large egg
1 -2 cups of cold water
2 spring onions chopped (optional)
2 small packets of red pickled ginger finely sliced

Garnish
1 packet katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
Japanese mayonnaise
Takoyaki sauce or bulldog sauce
Method

1. In a bowl, lightly beat the egg with 1 cup of cold water.

2. Add the takoyaki mix to the bowl and mix until combined. Slowly add more cold water until the mixture is runny. Make sure you don’t over mix.

3. Heat the takoyaki pan and spray some cooking oil on each hole. Pour the mixture into each hole until it is 80% full.

4. Put a piece of prawn in each hole and top with spring onions and ginger.


5. After a few minutes of cooking take a BBQ stick and run it through the sides of each ball, making a square.

6. With the BBQ stick turn them over, about 90 degrees. Tuck the sides to form rounds.


7. Flip the takoyaki every few minutes until golden brown.




Serve the takoyaki balls by topping with some takoyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise and bonito flakes.


The takoyaki balls were delicious. It was crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. I will be making these again. Maybe with some practice I can start showing of my takoyaki making skills.

Simon Leong (April 20, 2010)  

looks great. chef's armoury is having a free event coming up too to demonstrate these. http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2010/04/chefs-armoury-free-wagyu-tasting-event.html

Helen (Grab Your Fork) (April 20, 2010)  

oh so professional! i was thinking about getting one of these from japan but ending up coming home with a bundt pan instead. boo to luggage limits! takoyaki pans are actually quite hard to find in sydney although i've seen them occasionally at maruyu on clarence st

cusinera (April 20, 2010)  

I love this stuff! I didn't know they have a domestic pan for it...i love anything that you can stab with a bamboo skewer or chopsticks=)

Extreme Power (April 20, 2010)  

wow. Looks yummy mate. Wish I can have them after my badminton game. Nice.

Anabel Nieuwen –  (April 20, 2010)  

I wish someone would make ME takoyaki balls...

Tangled Noodle (April 20, 2010)  

Awesome! I have an aebleskiver pan, which is practically the same thing as a takoyaki pan. I've been want to make these and even have the octopus in my freezer. No excuse not to now that you've provided a great recipe and shown how delicious is can be! 8-)

Trissa (April 20, 2010)  

I love takoyaki balls Kath! You are so lucky you can make them at home. One day can I come over and try some? Oh and lovely pictures!

♥peachkins♥ (April 21, 2010)  

I love Takoyaki balls! There's this one store where I buy this Super delicious Takoyaki balls..

Caroline (April 21, 2010)  

Nice takoyaki pan and nicer-looking balss (hehe). I've been in the mood for takoyaki since you mentioned it to me on twitter. Now that I have an aebleskiver pan, am ready to make these.

Trisha (April 21, 2010)  

oh god oh god oh god can i come over and steal your takoyaki hot plate? can i be your best friend? hahaha I LOOOOOVEE takoyaki!

SKIP TO MALOU (April 21, 2010)  

alright this convinced me... i should visit you soon... this looks so legit hahah.. for real! ILOVE takoyaki balls~ and it sounds like an easy shortcut of doing it with the mix huh... great job kath!

chocolatesuze (April 21, 2010)  

dude awesome im so jealous takoyaki balls are so tasty!

Blue Penguin (April 21, 2010)  

That looks so tasty! Just a thought (and I'm not familiar with takoyaki balls, so might be miles off here!), but the pan looked a lot like a poffertje pan (maybe slightly larger and deeper holes). If anybody was looking for a pan locally, that might be worth checking out. You can get them online pretty easily (e.g. www.poffertjesman.com , which is based in Australia)... I've got one for my mum a while back, so can vouch that they work well (and are great to use on the bbq, too). Now I might need to try out making the takoyaki balls myself!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (April 21, 2010)  

Homemade takoyaki! Hooray! Love the nice traditional finish with the mayo and bonito, it just wouldn't be the same without it :)

Would love to try some, they look fantastic!

Stephcookie (April 21, 2010)  

Yuuum!! I love takoyaki and they look so good! You can already show off your skills, they look so neat and tasty! I want your takoyaki pan by the way

Brenda (April 21, 2010)  

Nice one! It's another item I want on my list. Your's look perfect!!

krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com (April 21, 2010)  

that's so cool! i wish i had a pan like that from japan. i've never tried takoyaki balls before.. i guess i am missing out, huh?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (April 21, 2010)  

Hey they look great Kath! :D And nice touch with the sauce, mayo and bonito flakes too!

Mark @ Cafe Campana (April 21, 2010)  

Yum. I recently had these for the first time and was instantly impressed. I love the flavour and texture of these. Plus the bonito flakes are so cool. Great work procuring such a cool pan.

Anonymous –  (April 22, 2010)  

Ooh niiiceee! So much better than the microwave takoyaki pan I have seen around haha and yes please keep making and try different yakis!

Jen (April 22, 2010)  

Noice and yummy!! I like the fact that you can make them at home now w/ that pan! Have you seen aonori here in Sydney? They're like fine seaweed that you put on okonomiyaki too and takoyaki.

Anonymous –  (April 22, 2010)  

ive always wanted one of those pans!
i love takoyaki i could eat the tray on my own.
:P FISH FLAKESSSS! love lots of it to go with them.
im so jealous (and hungry) now

Unknown (April 23, 2010)  

I asked for one from my friend that went to Japan for work but he wasn't able to find one :(. I settled for the dutch pancake pan. It is close but not the real thing. It is great you were able to get one.

Two fit and fun gals (April 24, 2010)  

they look so good kath :)

Chef Aimee (April 25, 2010)  

AMAZING! There is only one place in NYC that makes these: Otofuko! What a great souvenir and a wonderful dish!

Anonymous –  (April 25, 2010)  

You are so lucky to own a takoyaki pan! I am full of envy. It's one of my favourite street snack from Japan.

s (April 26, 2010)  

never seen these..but the outcome looks splendid....yummy!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (May 02, 2010)  

The pan is beautiful as, of course, the food it helps to produce. Any other plans for this pan? Mini donuts??

Forager (May 04, 2010)  

Yuuuuuuum! I want a takoyaki set too! In fact I looked at one the other day in a posh food store, but I bet the one from Japan was loads cheaper & nicer. M'oh. Ebay it is.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails