Kulinarya - Polvoron

The Kulinary theme for April is Polvoron. Polvoron is a Filipino treat that is made out of toasted flour, milk powder, sugar and butter. It's extremely simple to make and very decadent. There are a lot of different polvoron flavours that you can make. A few of them being cookies and cream, pandan, pinipig, peanut brittle and chocolate covered polvoron.




I decided that I would stick to the original version of this ever popular Filipino treat. So below is Mama Eugenio's version of Polvoron.




Mama Eugenio's Polvoron
Ingredients
1 cup flour
2 cups powdered milk
3/4 cup sugar
125 grams unsalted butter (melted)


You will need to buy a Polvoron mould, this can be purchased at any Filipino store. If you cant find one a round or oblong cookie cutter should do the trick.




Method

1. In a wok, toast the flour until it's golden brown. You should be able to smell it toasting. Make sure to stir as you toast the flour, otherwise it will burn. Set aside to cool.

2. In another bowl, combine the powdered milk, sugar and toasted flour. Mix the dry ingredients together until it is well combined. (some recipes tell you to sift the dry ingredients, but Mama Eugenio said there is no need)

3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly pour half of the melted butter into the mix. Stir until combined and slowly add the rest of the butter until it resembles wet sand.

4. Use the polvoron mould to shapre the mixture. Cool in the fridge for about 10 minutes before individually wrapping them in coloured tissue paper.


I didnt have any tissue paper so I just put them on a plate for all to share. They were gone in a day.


Kulinarya was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who are passionate about the Filipino culture and its colourful cuisine. Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes.

By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino Food as we do.
If you’re interested in joining our Kulinarya Cooking Club, please feel free to drop by our foodblogs and leave a comment – we would love to hear from you!
Joy - http://joyjoycreativeoutlet.blogspot.com/

And of course… Trissa of Trissalicious and Trisha from Sugarlace

Trissa (April 18, 2010)  

Kath! This looks so yummy. Exactly like the polvoron I remember when I was a child. Thanks Kath for sticking to the original version and sharing Mama Eugenio's recipe with us. By the way, great pictures!

Amy @ cookbookmaniac (April 18, 2010)  

I use to work with a large group of Filipinos at a bank. They use to share lots of Filipino sweets with me. I recall eating something very similar to this and have been hunting for a recipe. Thank you for sharing!

SKIP TO MALOU (April 18, 2010)  

kath,
this is the polvoron of my childhood. reminds me of how i'd love to cup with my hand some unmolded ones and eat it right away hahaha...
great post kath and right on schedule ha...

Mark @ Cafe Campana (April 18, 2010)  

Thanks Katherine for another cool post. I have never seen many of these foods before and you are opening up my eyes. All the different flavour combinations look cool.

Y (April 18, 2010)  

Oh wow, a polvoron press! I want one of those! :)

Cherrie Pie (April 18, 2010)  

I bet there wasn't any left at the end of the day! They look so authentic

Anh (April 18, 2010)  

That looks delicious!! Love it!

OohLookBel (April 18, 2010)  

Such a simple idea, but so good! The polvoron press makes it so worthwhile, too.

shaz (April 18, 2010)  

Looks very rich and sweet. Such a cool mould too.

cusinera (April 18, 2010)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ninette (April 18, 2010)  

Hello. I made traditional polvoron too. Too much sentiment wrapped in the polvoron for me. Btw, there are more members in Kulinarya than in your list. I have an updated list on my blog.

Jun Belen (April 19, 2010)  

Great post - I'd have to look for a polvoron press here in San Francisco!!

Tangled Noodle (April 19, 2010)  

I wish I'd picked up a press during our last visit to the Philippines! I LOVE polvoron but have relied on Goldilocks brand (and even that, I have to wait until we visit California - they're not available in my home state). Thanks for sharing this classic version!

Caroline (April 19, 2010)  

I have polvoron press envy! haha. All the Filipino stores I called don't carry them. Thanks for sharing your Mama's recipe.

Asha @ FSK (April 19, 2010)  

Love how quick this was to make...love the oval shape.. are they usually oval in shape?

Anonymous –  (April 19, 2010)  

What brand of powdered milk do you use?

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (April 19, 2010)  

Excellent, another Filipino delight that I have never come across before, and this time with a cool new toy as well!

Two fit and fun gals (April 19, 2010)  

they look cool - can you use any shaped cookie cutter instead?

Annie (April 19, 2010)  

real polvoron...i can just taste it!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella (April 19, 2010)  

I don't think I've ever tried this. Can you buy this easily?

Ann (April 20, 2010)  

Wow.. so delicious looking! pics are awesome

Helen (Grab Your Fork) (April 20, 2010)  

I remember trying this for the first time and thinking this tastes exactly like powdered milk. lol! Interesting to see that the flour is toasted. I'm curious to try out the recipe now - and hurrah for no sifting. I always skip that step too :)

Confession Nook (April 20, 2010)  

Crisp photos..make me want to eat them!
I heart heart the polvoron mold as mine was MIA..

cheers!

chocolatesuze (April 20, 2010)  

ooh yum i love the idea of chocolate covered!

Juliana (April 20, 2010)  

Oh! I never had this treats...it sure look tasty. Like the way the mold is used :-)

billy@atablefortwo (April 20, 2010)  

That's a cool little gadget! Where can I get one? LOL! Or can you use other mould to make them?
Look so decadent and brittle.

tigerfish (April 20, 2010)  

I'm new to this sweet treat. Thanks for sharing.

Barbara Bakes (April 20, 2010)  

I've never heard of or seen the mold for these cookies. Very fun!

Christine Ho (April 20, 2010)  

This Filipino treat is quite new to me. We seldom find any here. But I love trying new tastes, esp. desserts.

sheryl @crispywaffle (April 20, 2010)  

Cool that we have almost the same polvoron press! Nice photos! Also -- I like your ratio of flour to powdered milk. I prefer lots of milk in my polvoron.

Trisha (April 20, 2010)  

Congratulations on getting the photo in foodgawkers!!!!! Love that you included the photo of the "mould" :)

A Canadian Foodie (April 20, 2010)  

Fantastic photo! I am learning so much by reading these... mine will be late - but will be done. Right after my report cards... I thought it was not possible after researching the recipe and then scouring the city for a mold - not finding one. But, have an idea of what to do now, and of how to do it. The first few recipes I found were with peanuts and nuts. I am going to use your recipe. It sounds like the basic recipe... and like something I can actually do and understand as I have no frame of reference for this sweet treat. I do have some Filipino students and one colleague and cannot WAIT to surprise them with some of these to see how well I did.
:)
Again - GORGEOUS photos, and thanks for the information about food gawker.
Valerie

Caroline (April 21, 2010)  

I LOVE polvoron! I usually make it around the holidays. I got a bunch of presses the last time I was in the Philippines. Now I want to go home and make some :-)

Carolyn Jung (April 21, 2010)  

I've never heard of these, but wow, do you have me intrigued! I bet these would be lovely with a nice cup of tea.

Roxan (April 21, 2010)  

Hello, here via Tastespotting. I just wanted to share with you the ice cream I made recently using polvoron that my mother in law brought back for me from the Philippines! :)
http://kitchenmeditation.blogspot.com/2010/04/polvoron-and-honey-ice-cream.html

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! (April 26, 2010)  

what a fun cooking club! i have often seen my grandma eating these, but never took the time to figure out what they are. They looks so good, i'm going to have to get my hands on some or make them at home!

tina (August 24, 2010)  

Hi. these look great! :)
I just have one question : is it possible to substitute the powdered milk with cocoa powder? Thank you in advance. ^^

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails