Making Ensaimada

Ensaimada has always been a family favourite. My mum often orders this and we would eat the entire box in one day. Its a soft fluffy bread that often has butter, sugar and Edam cheese as a topping.

I'm not really a bread baking kinda girl. The thought of waiting and punching out dough scares me. On Saturday as I was getting ready to read through some emails my mum shouts out "Oi we are making it". So I said "what are we making what?" Then she said "Ensaimada hurry we are making it."

So I went to the kitchen and she had a recipe ready for us to get started. She chose a recipe on Burnt Lumpia. She must have spent some time on Google looking for a good recipe. I was so glad she chose one that came from a fellow food blogger's site.


Punching out the dough was fun. It's a great way to relieve stress. Just think of your worse enemy and punch away...




The Ensaimada was delicious. My mum and I looked at each other in shock as we bit into the hot bread. I will definately be making this again. It was also a great bonding experience for me and my mum. She only yelled at me once. ehehehe..

Two fit and fun gals (November 04, 2009)  

the only bread i've made is the gluten free bread mixes from woolies - only cos richard wasnt allowed to eat wheat, so well done on your bread making :)

Anonymous –  (November 04, 2009)  

haha! the "Oi we are making it" made me laugh!
i love making bread. its fun.
but only on days when i have time! heh.
havent tried these before, but it looks awesome!

Trissa (November 05, 2009)  

Gimme some please! They look fantastic Kath! I love it - reminds me of home!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (November 05, 2009)  

Ohh how have I gotten this far through life without even hearing about Ensaimada let alone biting into its soft butteryness? I hope you made more than the three in the photo, otherwise some more yelling might have gone down in the kitchen over the last one!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (November 05, 2009)  

Ooh these look so good Katherine! :)

Anonymous –  (November 05, 2009)  

These look awsome. I have always wanted to make fresh bread but haven't found time to do it. You might have just inspired me to do so :)

Trisha (November 05, 2009)  

Isn't Burnt Lumpia the best? I love the humour he incorporates with his recipes! :) Oohh and like I told you before, these ensaimadas look amazing! I want to try Trissa's :)

Katherine A Cupcake Or Two –  (November 06, 2009)  

Betty - I suggest you try it. It's easy you just have to have a little patience waiting for it to rise

Felicia - My mum is hilarious. She really has a way with words. ehehe

Trissa - Lets swap Ensaimadas. I'm sure yours is delicious.

Lorraine - Thanks :)

Ellie - I hope I have inspired you. It's so much fun to make.

Trisha - I think I would be starstruck to meet Mr Burnt Lumpia. He is cool.

Anonymous –  (November 07, 2009)  

Hi Kath, I have given you an award. Stop by my blog to pick it up!

Marvin (November 14, 2009)  

Hi Katherine. I'm glad you and your mom were able to bond over ensaimada! They look delicious!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails