Red Velvet Cupcakes For Michelles Birthday

When I went to New York in June, one of the places on my list was Magnolia Bakery. I first saw this on an episode of Sex and The City. I also heard a lot of reviews about their famous cupcakes. I fell in love with Magnolia’s Red Velvet Cupcakes. It was so light and fluffy. The icing was creamy and you couldn’t stop at one. When I got back to Sydney I searched the web and found the recipe.

I decided to make these special cupcakes for a friend at work. It was a perfect fit for her personality. Michelle is a fashionista, so chic and very New York.




Magnolia Red Velvet Cupcakes – Makes 24

3 1/2 plain flour (sifted)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tablespoons red food coloring
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 175°C

1. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the food colouring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.

3. Mix the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts alternating with the flour, beat until the ingredients are just incorporated.

4. In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well.

5. Divide the batter among the prepared pans. I used some cupcake wrappers to make it easier to clean up.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean..



The cupcakes came out so red. I recommend using powder food colouring instead of the liquid form.


Happy Birthday Michelle. I hope you liked the cupcakes.


Everyone at work loved the cupcakes. I will definately make these again. Its such a vibrant colour and simple to make. If you ever travel to New York make sure to visit Magnolia Bakery. Their cupcakes are amazing.

Anonymous –  (November 30, 2009)  

Well personally I LOVED the Cupcakes - they were some of your best Ms Cupcake or Two - can we use this recipe in the next Cupcake kit? - Seriously yummy and VERY much needed on Monday morn. Happy b'day to you too Michelle. From the big boss.

Trissa (November 30, 2009)  

Kath - great photography!! What beautiful presentation - lucky friend! Can you make them for me on my bday? hee hee..

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (December 01, 2009)  

Michelle is a lucky girl, yum yum :)

It's almost a year since I went to New York for the first time. Wish I could make an annual event of it!

betty (December 01, 2009)  

hey they look great i've always wanted to make these hehe. which icing recipe did you use?? usually cream cheese goes well with it, right?

Betty @ The Hungry Girl (December 01, 2009)  

These look perfect! I know so many people that have gone to NY this year, and I've told everyone of them to make sure to get a cupcake from Magnolia bakery! Hehe.. not that I've been, but I've just seen it on SATC!

Lauren (December 01, 2009)  

Stunning & the photos are fabulous!

Olive (December 01, 2009)  

Hi Kath :)

simply gorgeous, I love the contrast of the red cake and cream frosting.. is that cream cheese frosting? I will follow your suggestion and try using powder food color next time :)

Anabel Nieuwen –  (December 02, 2009)  

Katherine they look PERFECT!!!

Wish we could have hung out more when I was there. We're both home in Amsterdam now. :(

Trisha (December 02, 2009)  

Wow red velvet!!! Great job Kath! And absolutely fantastic frosting!!!

Anonymous –  (December 02, 2009)  

love the red, love the swirls :)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella (December 02, 2009)  

They look great! I adore red velvet, it is just so strikingly good! :)

Forager (December 02, 2009)  

That colour is amazing!

MaryMoh (December 02, 2009)  

Oh my gosh...red cupcakes! They look so pretty. Michelle is such a lucky girl. Happy Birthday, Michelle!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge (December 03, 2009)  

how can you go wrong with the red velvet cupcake! They are so exciting to eat, and such a treat taste wise! I want one now!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets (December 04, 2009)  

You know, I've been looking for a perfect red velvet cupcake recipe though I'd probably skip the coloring (I know I know, that's half the point). Putting this on my to-try list. Lovely frosting job btw =D!

Anonymous –  (February 17, 2010)  

I made this the other night...OMG they're amazing...My boyf, his work colleagues and my work colleagues loved them!

They looked and tasted perfect!

Thanks for sharing!

Dinh X

Anonymous –  (May 14, 2010)  

how did you make the cream cheese frosting? also how did you get it to pipe like that meaning it wasnt so runny?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails