Dani’s Son-In-Law Eggs from the MasteChef Magazine


The first time I had Son-In-Law eggs was at a friend’s house back when I was in high school. My friend’s dad made it for us and served it with some steaming hot rice as an afternoon treat. I remember thinking, how on earth am I going to eat this. I hate runny eggs.




A number of years later, my palette has certainly changed. I now love runny yolks and never eat eggs that are overcooked and rubbery. When I saw the recipe on the MasterChef magazine, I knew I had to try to make the dish myself.




I made this dish using Quail eggs instead of your standard chicken eggs. Soft boiled quail eggs have a delicious flavour and I prefer to use them for this dish.

Dani’s Son-In-Law Eggs

Ingredients 
12 quail eggs (room temperature)
2 tablespoons of tamarind puree’
1/4 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup of water
Zest and juice of 1 lime
2 long red chillies (we only had the small super hot chilli. I used half of that)
Vegetable oil for frying
Salt or fish sauce to taste




1. To soft boil the quail eggs, put the eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil, carefully swirling the eggs so that the yolk stays in the middle. As soon as it boils, turn the heat off and run cold water on the eggs to stop the cooking process. Carefully peel the eggs and set aside.

2. In a small saucepan, add the tamarind puree, sugar, water, zest and lime juice. Stir until combined and bring to a boil until the mixture is thick and syrupy. Season with salt to taste, I used a few drops of fish sauce instead as tamarind and fish sauce are a great flavour combination.



3. Fill a saucepan with vegetable oil. Bring the heat up to around 180. You can drop a small piece of bread into oil to check if it’s ready. If the bread starts to sizzle, then the oil is ready for frying.

4. Fry the eggs until they are golden brown. Let them drain on some paper towel. Serve the eggs on top of some salad leaves or steaming hot rice. Top with the sauce and some thin slices of chilli.


I found that the quail eggs cooked a little more during the frying stage. I would suggest draining the eggs from the boiling water as soon as it comes to the boil, put the eggs in some icy water to cool it down quickly. Peeling the eggs can be very time consuming so be patient. 

Nicole @ It's Feeding Time at the Zoo (June 26, 2011)  

Wow, these sound absolutely divine! I can't wait to try them :)

chocolatesuze (June 26, 2011)  

quail eggs sound like the perfect size for me!

OohLookBel (June 26, 2011)  

Gorgeous presentation, Kath! I like the idea of using quail eggs because they would be easier to fry (I'm a bit of a frying klutz).

Elizabeth Q of AsianinAmericamag (June 27, 2011)  

What a delightful post!Coincidentally, I was getting ready to make the same recipe this weekend, and here you are sharing it with us. Thanks for the assistance...now I must get started. Looking forward to fun times with the Kulinarya Cooking Club!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (June 27, 2011)  

I love runny eggs and quail eggs so no doubt I would absolutely love these! :)

Martyna @ WholesomeCook (June 28, 2011)  

Oh my gosh! This looks soo nice - I love takoyaki and this is what these egg balls remind me of. Similar texture I imagine as well, yummm!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) (June 28, 2011)  

These are so cute, and good to hear you've joined the runny eggs team! lol

Unknown (June 29, 2011)  

That looks great.

sugarpuffi (June 29, 2011)  

ohhh~mini oozy eggs! i like!

Adrian (Food Rehab) (July 01, 2011)  

Love son in law eggs especially in a chili based salad. Looking good!

Wok with Ray (July 04, 2011)  

That is the most gorgeous eggs I've ever seen! Your presentation is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (July 07, 2011)  

I'm not sure whether I like runny eggs or not when I was younger, because Mum doesn't like them and would always serve fully-cooked ones! Same goes for if we ate out - fried eggs were always requested to be cooked all the way through =(

Wasn't until I was well into my teens when I got to experience the delights of silken, runny eggs!

Two fit and fun gals (July 13, 2011)  

this looks delicious! do u think we could do it with normal chicken eggs?

Gary (July 17, 2011)  

Hey, I love your blog... its so cute! I like the look of these eggs, I think I might give them a try.. Im currenty going through masterchef recipies.... yum.. such great ideas!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails