Chocolate Cake with Fresh Cream and Mixed Berry Sauce


Ok so I admit it, I use pre packaged cake mix. I love to make my own cakes but sometimes time gets the better of me and when I need to make something quickly I resort to good ol cake mixes. I honestly don’t see anything wrong with it. There are some delicious mixes out there. You just have to look for it.




At the Good Food & Wine Show in Sydney, I found just that, I saw a crowd at the La Cour Patisserie Stand and headed over there. I met Natalie, who has developed a range of sweet cafe treats for people to make at home. Her products are preservative free and have no artificial flavours. That instantly won me over, and I ended up going home with 3 cafe style treats to make at home.

So here is my version of a quick Chocolate Cake, this took me all of 10 minutes to prepare.




Chocolate Cake with Fresh Cream and Mixed Berry Sauce

Ingredients

1 x Double Layer Chocolate Cake Baking Kit
1 cup of frozen mixed berries
¼ caster sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup thickened cream


Method

1. Make the cake as per the instructions on the box. Allow the cake to cool completely before decorating

2. In a saucepan, add the caster sugar, berries and lemon juice over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and the berries start to burst. Try not to over cook the sauce. You want the berries to retain their shape.

3. Whip the cream until stiff peaks and set aside.

Assembling the Cake

1. Take the 2 chocolate cakes and trim the tops to make them even.

2. Fold the whipped cream with half of the berry sauce. Put the cream on top of the first chocolate cake.

3. Put the second chocolate cake on top of the cream. Gently press the cake down.

4. Ice the top layer with the Chocolate Icing and serve on a pretty cake stand.




This cake is deliciously decadent and addictive. I recommend it to anyone looking to impress friends and family with a dessert that looks like it took hours to make.



If you want more information on Natalie's delicious range of sweet treats or if you would like to order just go to her website La Cour Patisserie

Trisha (July 05, 2011)  

That's really nice Kath!!! I wouldn't even have known it was a box mix!

OohLookBel (July 05, 2011)  

Love the cake stand. And the cake itself looks scrumptious and beautifully decorated.

Natalie (July 05, 2011)  

Hi Kath, It was wonderful meeting you at the show. Thank you baking such a mouth watering version of my cake, I could eat a piece right now! Hope to catch up soon, Natalie from La Cour Patisserie

Helen (Grab Your Fork) (July 06, 2011)  

Doesn't everyone start off making cakes using packet mixes? I tend to only buy them now when I'm in a holiday flat and get hit with a baking bug, but I love how you've fancied this up with berries and cream!

sara (Belly Rumbles) (July 06, 2011)  

Looks rich, moist and delicious, a very gorgeous looking cake.

I must admit I don't tend to use cake mixes that much these days. When Josh was still at school I did tend to keep one in the cupboard for easy morning teas etc. There are some good ones out there and this one looks like one of them.

Unknown (July 07, 2011)  

Oh My! The cake looks wonderful.

Unknown (July 07, 2011)  

Don't ask, don't tell! :-)

Years ago I used to receive rave reviews for these muffins I made - no one knew it was a packet mix! I've improved my baking skills since then but when it comes to a no stress children's birthday cake, I always steer my friends towards packet mixes.

The berry cream is calling my name, loudly!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (July 07, 2011)  

Different packet mixes definitely produce differing results, but I love the addition of berries and cream here!

Martyna@WholesomeCook (July 07, 2011)  

Hi Kath,

Having visited the GFWS and seen both Natalie's stand and the Well&Good allergen free cake mix stands, I am eating my words that ALL cake mixes are bad. Love what good people like Natalie are trying to do to increase awareness of additives and provide shoppers with healthier alternatives! Yay!

PS The cake looks delicious!!!

sugarpuffi (July 08, 2011)  

wow that looks delicious! and i have to agree that there is nothing wrong in using cake mix. the brownie mix from betty crocker is super!

tinytearoom (July 13, 2011)  

that's from a cake mix! wow they've evolved since the last time I dismissed them. I would have never thought this was from a box. It looks wonderful.

Becca (July 15, 2011)  

This looks absolutely delicious. I am definitely trying this sometime!

Apple Kilgour (August 01, 2011)  

it looks delicious!! so glad i found your blog! i love everything sweet and cute!

alana (October 24, 2011)  

frozen berries in cake filling - genius! this cake looks so, so great.

Diana (December 10, 2011)  

This looks like a cake from my imagination. Great!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails