Homemade Tahô - It's Comfort in Every Bowl

Have you ever had an off week? The kind of week where you just want to turn back the hands of time and do it all again. Well the past few weeks have been off weeks for me. The only thing that saves me during an off week is comfort food. Food that brings me back to my child hood.

Tahô with sago is one of those foods. It brings me back to those mornings in the Philippines where I would hear the Magtatahô (Tahô vendor) shouting for people to come and buy a bowl.



Tahô is a snack that is common in the Philippines. Most people eat this for breakfast but I can eat it at anytime of the day. It’s made with silken tofu topped with tapioca pearls and brown sugar syrup. It’s simple, but screams comfort to me


Here is a simple way of making homemade Tahô.

Tahô with Sago and Brown Sugar Syrup – recipe adapted from http://panlasangpinoy.com/

Sago (tapioca pearls)

¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup uncooked sago (tapioca pearls)
4½ cups water

Method


1. Bring 4½ cups of water to the boil. Put the tapioca pearls into the pot and cook for 40 minutes on a medium heat.

2. Add ¼ cup brown sugar and mix well.

3. Turn off the heat and let the sago cool for a few minutes.




Tahô

1 box tofu mix (85g)
5 cups water

Method


1. In a saucepan over medium heat, dissolve tofu mix in 5 cups of water.

2. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the coagulant which comes with the Tofu mix. Quickly stir and cover with foil.

4. Allow the tofu to set while you make the sugar syrup.




Brown Sugar Syrup (Arnibal)

½ cup water
1 cup brown sugar

Method

1. Heat ½ cup of water in a saucepan.

2. Once the water boils add 1 cup of brown sugar. Mix until all the sugar is dissolved.

How to assemble the Tahô

1. With a wide spoon scoop the soft tofu with a sliding motion and put it in a bowl. Make sure that you drain the excess water that goes into the bowl.

2. Add the sago and top with a few spoonfuls of sugar syrup.




Tahô is best served warm. Tofu mix is available at all Asian markets. If you can't find the tofu powder, pre packaged silken tofu will also work with this.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (May 13, 2010)  

Ahhh, it's similar to the sweet tofu soup dessert at yumcha! I could eat this at any time of day too =)

Trissa (May 13, 2010)  

Kath! Yes this week has been crazy busy for me - and I need COMFORT Food! Your taho also takes me back to my childhood - I remember my ears perking up when I would hear his little horn and shouting "Taho!" I will be making this!

Tangled Noodle (May 13, 2010)  

Thank you! I remember when you tweeted about this and I developed a craving reading it. I love taho but get to eat it very rarely - only a few Chinese restaurants offer it and all of them have been very subpar.

My husband loves taho, too, so you can bet this will be made soon!

Unknown (May 14, 2010)  

I miss taho so much. The closest place that sells that is in downtown Chicago in Chinatown. I have to keep and eye out for the soybean mix. I don't think it is available here.

Trisha (May 14, 2010)  

Is the tofu mix available in chinese shops? I'm going to get me some!!!!

Cherrie Pie (May 14, 2010)  

Yay for the post! Kath, you know I've been waiting for this. Looks so yummy. Gonna make it real soon.

Anonymous –  (May 14, 2010)  

Quite similar to the chinese beancurd dessert at yumcha! Love the addition of tapioca pearls.

Caroline (May 14, 2010)  

ohhh, gotta look for the tofu mix, I want to make taho. I remember the taho guy from my childhood, he'd always give me extra sago. :)

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (May 14, 2010)  

Whoa, haven't heard of this before but loving it already. Anything with sago has gotta be a good thing. I don't remember seeing the tofu mix around but shall be looking out for it now.

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella (May 15, 2010)  

I haven't had this dish but it looks very similar to the Chinese dish but with added sago which would make it even more awesome! :D Sorry to hear that you've been having some not so great weeks :(

Anonymous –  (May 15, 2010)  

Warm comfort food is the best ^^! Im sure this would help lessen the pain of the off weeks

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! (May 17, 2010)  

Hope that this is a better week for you Kathy! Sometimes we all need a little comforting. The bf has never mentioned this dessert, I shall have to ask him about it.

Phuoc'n Delicious (May 17, 2010)  

This would also bring me back to my comfort zone too! I remember making this when I was 10! And with the same brand tofu mix. The Viet version is served with ginger syrup.

I hope you have a better week. Have Zumbo cakes and macarons; that always cheers me up :)

Two fit and fun gals (May 19, 2010)  

ah my mom makes this all the time but ill tell her to add sago pearls next time :)

Adrian @ Food Rehab (May 24, 2010)  

ah.. taho. This certainly brings back memories! never had it with pearl before, so thanks for the tip!

Forager (June 03, 2010)  

Yum! This is like the soft tofu dessert and the sago dessert - my favourites at yum cha all rolled into one! Surprisingly easy to make too!

Precy (September 28, 2012)  

I was just about to go to Filipino market here to buy and try the tofu powder for taho. But then I got into this post and it confirmed the powder might be better than pre package tofus! I had made a taho before with the pre-pack tofu but still can't capture the same taste with the Philippine taho every morning! ^-^'Love your photos too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails