Chocolate, Banana and Honeycomb Roll from the MasterChef Magazine

Yiheee the MasterChef Magazine is finally here. I was so excited and got myself a copy as soon as it hit shelves. I saw a preview of the magazine from a lift out and the first thing I said to myself was that I would make a dessert from it. As I sat on the train reading the mag, the photo of the Chocolate, Banana and Honeycomb Roll instantly caught my eye. I’ve never attempted to make a Swiss Roll before.



The dessert was surprisingly easy to make. So long as you roll the cake while its still warm you shouldn’t have any problems making the roll with the filling once its cooled. Mine only cracked when I dropped it on the kitchen bench as I was about to take some photos.



Chocolate, Banana and Honeycomb Roll from the MasterChef Magazine

Ingredients (serves 8)

6 eggs, separated
110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
25g (1/4 cup) Dutch cocoa (see note), plus extra, to dust
2 tbs potato starch (flour) (see note) or plain flour
125g
dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted
250g (1 cup) mascarpone
160g dulce de leche or Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill (see note)
3 x 50g Crunchie chocolate bars, roughly chopped
1 small, just-ripe banana, diced



Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 28cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan and line with baking paper.

2. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks and sugar on high speed until thick and pale. Sift over cocoa and potato starch, and fold in gently. Add chocolate and 2 tbs boiling water and stir gently to combine.

3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, then fold into the chocolate mixture.

4. Spoon batter into prepared pan and level with the back of a spoon. Bake for 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.

5. Dust generously with cocoa, then cover with a sheet of baking paper. Invert cake with baking paper onto a work surface, then gently peel paper from the bottom of the cake.

6. While the cake is still hot, use the baking paper to gently roll up the cake from its long side, rolling paper with the cake. Cool for 20 minutes only.

7. Place mascarpone, dulce de leche, 100g Crunchie and banana in a bowl and stir until partially combined.

8. Gently unroll the cake, then spread with filling, leaving a 2cm border. Re-roll the cake (it may crack a little, but don't worry). Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until filling is firm. Dust with extra cocoa and scatter with remaining chopped Crunchie to serve.



It's a delicious and rich dessert that I will definitely be making again. The MasterChef Magazine is in News Agencies for $4.95. I got a copy and subscribed for 11 months for $38.00.

Mark @ Cafe Campana (May 16, 2010)  

Very nice looking roll. I love honeycomb.

Iron Chef Shellie (May 16, 2010)  

OMG it looks just like the magazine!

I've never made a swiss roll either, but I'll sure be giving it a go with this recipe!

Stephcookie (May 16, 2010)  

Yum!! I've never made a swiss roll, im scared of sponge cake! Yours looks lovely, were you cranky when you dropped it and it cracked? I would have been!

Anonymous –  (May 16, 2010)  

This is truly amazing!!! Love how we all got inspired by masterchef!

Trissa (May 16, 2010)  

Kath!!! I've never had much success in making these rolls but I am so inspired by your creation. Can you come over and teach me?

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) (May 16, 2010)  

I've never made a swiss roll either. Not to worry that it cracked though - still tastes exactly the same!

Tangled Noodle (May 16, 2010)  

I have to try making rolled cake again - on my last attempt, the cake was too dry and was not going to roll up at all. I ended making cut outs, instead. But this looks too good to resist! We don't get MasterChef here so I'll just have to see if they have recipes on a website. Hope you'll make more recipes from your new mags!

Anonymous –  (May 17, 2010)  

Ooh yuummmm this looks very very good also love this combination of flavours mmmm crunchie

chocolatesuze (May 17, 2010)  

oooh i love that last pic dude! i love the sound of the choc banana and honeycomb combo!

Cherrie Pie (May 17, 2010)  

Wow, it looks exactly the pic in the mag. Love ducle de leche and still have another couple of cans in the pantry that I made and not sure what to do with it. Now I know.

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! (May 17, 2010)  

Good job on the swiss roll! Your roll looks like it should BE in a magazine ;)

Anonymous –  (May 17, 2010)  

Mmm!!! Sounds wonderful!!

Phuoc'n Delicious (May 17, 2010)  

Oh yum! I've never attempted making swiss roll as well as I thought it might be tempermental (although now I know there are more thing even more tempermental *cough* MACARONS *cough*). Chocolate, banana and honeycomb; sounds like a kick ass flavour combo!

Swee San (May 18, 2010)  

I've been watching Masterchef through online streaming and I just can't get enough of it.. I wish we had the magazine here too :( .. Nice swiss roll

Betty Bake (May 18, 2010)  

yum yum yum - i've never made a swiss roll either - but i think i may attempt this one :) delicious!!!
drool
yum yum

Betty Bake

Juliana (May 18, 2010)  

Wow, nice roll, banana and chocolate...perfect combination :-)

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (May 18, 2010)  

Well done! I've been scared off swiss rolls as the recipes always make it sound like cracking is inevitable, but you have given me hope! Great flavours in this too.

Delicious!

MaryMoh (May 18, 2010)  

Beautiful...looks very delicious. My children love swiss rolls. They will certainly love this one. I have just learned to make a chocolate swiss roll a couple of weeks ago. The rolling is quite tricky.

Marisa (May 19, 2010)  

Man, this looks good!

Two fit and fun gals (May 19, 2010)  

this looks sooooo good katherine

Anonymous –  (May 19, 2010)  

this looks AMAZING!
so chocolatey and moist!
ah honeycomb, my love.
i made my first roll a while back too.
mine cracked at the same part as yours! :P
but who cares when it tastes awesome!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (May 19, 2010)  

Excellent job Kath! :D I have yet to crack open a copy of the magazine. Did you take this to work? :)

Laetitia (May 19, 2010)  

I easily understand why you were immediately seduce by this dessert : it looks sooooo delicious!!

Xiao Yen Recipes (May 20, 2010)  

Goodness! It looks sooo yummy! I'm such a chocolate lover and this is my kind of cake roll.

Dewi (May 20, 2010)  

Seductive dessert. Wow!

OohLookBel (May 20, 2010)  

Your Swiss roll looks really good! I saw the recipe in the magazine as well, though I made note of the 'cheats method' (where you put a long piece over a short piece of cake) in case it all falls apart. Glad to see yours turned out so well.

Catherine (May 20, 2010)  

This looks sublime! I've only made a swiss roll once - but I drenched the outside with chocolate icing to cover up the cracks! This combination of chocolate, honeycomb and banana sounds wonderful!

Von (May 20, 2010)  

This looks delicious! even with the crack! I haven't had a swiss roll in ages......it was one of the first things my mother taught me to bake, I could never quite get it right though......

Emma @CakeMistress (May 21, 2010)  

phwoar. That centre looks so creamy and dreamy...

Anita (May 22, 2010)  

This looks great. I'm glad I've heard your review of the magazine. I haven't even seen a copy on the shelf yet - will have a look when I get a chance.

Trisha (May 22, 2010)  

Kath baking skills galore!!!!!!!!! This looks absolutely fantastic mmm perfect with tea...

Adrian @ Food Rehab (May 24, 2010)  

Love it. Honeycomb with banana..very nice! Break me of a peice of dat!!

Ibyang (May 24, 2010)  

you are so good...that looks exactly like the photo in the magazine. congrats! i'm sure it
was delish.

panda (May 25, 2010)  

same here - i was so excited when the masterchef magazine came out; i bought it straight away. have yet to tackle the recipes but let me just say, your roll looks fab!

Trisha (May 30, 2010)  

Way to go!!! THIS IS FANTASTIC Kath! Hope you're feeling well too hun. Weather's terrible - I think I'm going down with something too!

Trisha (May 30, 2010)  

Wait.. just realised I already commented earlier on this same post. HAHAHA I thought I was commenting on TWO different posts -- oops! Ah well.. this just shows how good the recipe is! Must try it soon...

SKIP TO MALOU (May 30, 2010)  

I hope you're feeling better now Kath... but as for me, looking at your roll makes me drool and crave for a slice right now. oh so good looking roll.
for some reason, i have this feeling that I couldn't make a cake roll ... but hey you gave me the idea that i should try huh?

take care kath!
malou

Unknown (June 03, 2010)  

That looks delicious!

Dewi (June 03, 2010)  

That is really beautiful looking cake, love the mascarpone filling in it.

Judy (June 04, 2010)  

This looks so decadent and delicious. I love cake rolls. You're right -- roll them while they're warm.

Anonymous –  (June 19, 2010)  

yumbaba. Looks log full of creamy goodness. :) Awesome work!

Katie@Cozydelicious (June 21, 2010)  

My grandmother used to make sponge rolls! They were her most elegant dessert. I loved it - although yours looks even fancier. I have never made one myself, but this sounds so good I'm going to hav eto give it a try.

Betty @ The Hungry Girl (June 24, 2010)  

Ooh yum! Shame about it cracking when hitting the bench, but it still looks so good!

Amber (June 26, 2010)  

Oh my goodness. How beautiful, regardless of the cracking. The one time I made a swiss ross it turned into a trifle instead, after I overfilled it with cream and it just oozed everywhere :(. So frustrating. I MAY attempt this recipe, if I can get myself past my emotional scars.

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar (December 17, 2010)  

Looks delicious! Any chance of sending some up to the Sunshine Coast? Lol!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails