Key Lime Pie

For me baking is my time to relax. It takes my mind off the week that was and all the things that I need to do for the week ahead. I was thinking about what to bake while I was still at work. I decided I would make a Key Lime Pie. The recipe below is from Taste. I tweaked the recipe because I wanted the Pie to have a really tangy flavour.

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients
200g Digestive Biscuits
1/3 cup ground almonds
1 tablespoons of sugar
100grams of melted butter
4 to 5 egg yolks (depending on the size) I used 5
395g can condensed milk
2/3 cup cream
4 limes (juice and zest)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line base of a 20cm spring form tin with baking paper.
3. Process biscuits until fine crumbs.
3. Add almonds, sugar and butter mix until combined. Press mixture firmly into the base and sides of tin
4. Whisk eggs, condensed milk, cream, lime rind and juice until smooth.
5. Pour into biscuit crust.
6. Place on tray and bake for 40-45 minutes or until set. Cool


Notice the sides. I always seem to have issues pressing down biscuit bases. Every time I do the sides it turns out weird. If anyone has a tip to make it look better please leave a comment.

I was helping myself to the tangy Pie filling, hence why its not to the top. :) It was so nice. I could have eaten the whole thing before it went in the oven.

It turned out pretty well. After 30 minutes I turned the oven off and left the pie in there for a further 10 minutes. It was just set.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (September 05, 2009)  

I can taste the tang from here :D

I use a flat sided glass or mug to press the sides of such bases to the tin, using my fingers to push the top bits down also and get it even. Can use a flat bottomed glass on the bottom too. Still, yours looks super nice and tasty! Save a slice for me!

Anonymous –  (September 05, 2009)  

I love a good key lime pie. Yours look really good! Baking is relaxing. It works for me too!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (September 05, 2009)  

That looks really lovely! I went to buy limes the other day and they were about $2 each so that looks to me to be a rather extravagent but totally worth it pie! :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella (September 05, 2009)  

Also that's a great tip Nora! :D

Trissa (September 05, 2009)  

Great job Kath... Limes remind me of Kalamansi that we have in the Philippines. I wonder if we could make a keylamansi pie! hehe..

Katherine –  (September 05, 2009)  

Nora - Thanks for the tip. I will do that next time.
Lorraine - I bought the limes at $1.08 per kilo. I guess I got lucky.
Trissa - We actually have a Kalamansi Tree out the back. I love them. I make juice with about 5 of them. So refreshing.

Trisha (September 06, 2009)  

Oohhh yum this looks sooo good! And this is a somewhat different base recipe to what I'm used to with the addition of almond meal. Nevertheless, a good looking pie there, Kath!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef (September 06, 2009)  

Happy to be of assistance, ladies!

Also, tee hee about the little blogger symbol hiding the "Co" of my name and giving me a new blogging identity - Nora! :D

betty (September 06, 2009)  

mm, the basee looks delicious

Alisa@Foodista (September 11, 2009)  

This looks delicious.It's been awhile since I made this.I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails