Kulinarya - Spanish/Filipino Dishes and Desserts

Thanks to AC from Acdee and Ziggy from My Filipino Kitchen, this months Kulinarya theme is Filipino/Spanish dishes or desserts.  

I decided to make Pastillas De Leche.  This is normally made with Water Buffalo milk and cooked until the mixture is thick. It is then cooled and rolled in sugar.  I couldn’t find any Water Buffalo milk, so I decided to use a recipe that my mum often makes for her friends. It’s simple and doesn’t require any cooking.




Pastilles De Leche

Ingredients
2 cups of powdered milk
1 can of condensed milk
1 tablespoon of melted unsalted butter (optional)
½ cup of caster sugar





Method

1. Sift the powdered milk into a bowl.
2. Combine the melted butter and the condensed milk into another bowl.
3. Add the sifted powdered milk into the condensed milk mixture and stir until well combined. It should be a thick and sticky consistency.
4. Grab spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into small cylinders. Coat in the caster sugar and wrap individual cylinders in tissue paper or cellophane.




This Spanish/Filipino inspired sweet is sure to please. It's a breeze to make and incredibly delicious.


Kulinarya Cooking Club was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who are passionate about the Filipino culture and its colourful cuisine.
Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino Food as we do.
If you’re interested in joining our Kulinarya Cooking Club, please feel free to drop by our foodblogs and leave a comment – we would love to hear from you!




Say hello to the other members of the Kulinarya Cooking Club!
Tressa

And of course… Trish from Sugarlace and Trissa of Trissalicious!

Conor @ Hold the Beef (September 21, 2010)  

Sweet little presents! Love the box too :)

sheryl@crispywaffle (September 21, 2010)  

My favorite candy!! Thanks for inspiring me to make a batch of these (since you can't buy them where I live).

La (September 22, 2010)  

i'm soooooo glad i got to join KCC. look at all the treasure i found with you food peeps!

thanks for the awesome post.

chocolatesuze (September 22, 2010)  

ooh it uses condensed milk? im sold!

♥peachkins♥ (September 22, 2010)  

one of my favorite kukutin!

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! (September 22, 2010)  

Ohhh something else I can make that's Filo! =D I might have to learn a thing or two from you seeing as the boy's mother is a hopeless cook.

chef_d (September 22, 2010)  

Yummy, pastillas de leche is one of my favorite childhood indulgences :) and your version is so easy to make--thanks for sharing this recipe!

Caroline Adobo (September 22, 2010)  

I just got pastillas de leche for pasalubong (and they are almost gone) and wondered if I'll be able to make them here since carabao milk is not available. I'm so glad you shared your mother's recipe. :)

Trissa (September 22, 2010)  

Nice Kath... I really love pastillas and struggle to find them in Australia and just never thought of making it myself. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am sure everyone will really enjoy it.

Emma @cakeMistress (September 22, 2010)  

Perfect for a quick sugar hit. I love how simple it is to put together.

That box is gorgeous by the way.

Unknown (September 23, 2010)  

that is probably my favorite candy to make.

Joudie's Mood Food (September 23, 2010)  

This sounds lovely and also so easy to make. I love this no cook easy dessert! Yummy!

Chef Bee (September 23, 2010)  

Can't go wrong with those ingredients. Yummy.

Plan B

Cherrie Pie (September 25, 2010)  

I love this and I didn't realise it was easy to make

cusinera (September 26, 2010)  

I love pastillas de leche, I usually eat them slowly because I love the creaminess of it. Thanks for the recipe=)

Ziggy (October 06, 2010)  

this reminds me of childhood. We used to steal crumbs of these from the neighborhood Pastillas factory. And I used to get beat up by my pops because i'm with the pastillas-snatcher gang. LOL.

The awesomeness of doing this is the whiff of milk while you're swirling them to goodness. I heart.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails